I'd like ...

Mechanics & Syntax Menu

The worst part about rubrics from a student's perspective is that he/she sees nothing actually on the essay itself. While I LOVE the fact that you include that option, perhaps, as many have already suggested, there was a selection index of some sort. So if I highlighted a spelling error on the essay, I could check a box for spelling. THEN, at the end of the essay a student could have a list indicating their errors (similar to what you already do with the passages listed with errors) and see "whoa, my Achilles heel is passive. Look at all those same errors over and over again just on passive. Maybe I should work on that since I lost so many points" or "I guess I should figure out what a comma splice is." Students are very visual and in my humble opinion, that's one of the problems with rubrics: they don't really understand those fancy rubric terms that are on most of the standardize rubrics. If they could find the item listed as an error on the rubric, they probably wouldn't have made it in the first place. So by having itemized lists actually on their essay, I do believe it helps them make the connection.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Julee Impara shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base