EssayTagger Feature Requests

I'd like ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Essay Tagger as a Google Docs Add-On

Essay Tagger needs to be an Add-On for Google Docs. There's one called Grading Help that is similar, but Essay Tagger works better. If it were an Add-On, teachers could create a bunch of key shortcuts to add pre-loaded comments to student essays in Docs quickly and easily! It should also have the same "return via email" feature.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. More Report Ideas for Errors

This is a related suggestion to the "Customizable drop and drag comments for common mistakes" and the one wanting reports/counts of errors. If there were reusable error comments (drag-drop or maybe a drop down list in the existing error pop-up dialog with an option to add new), then reports would be possible. I would love a report similar to the "aggregate rubric results" that would group students and their text by error. I would then be able to quickly grab the "run-on sentence group" for a quick mini-lesson in the corner.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Include the full CCSS text in rubric download/print options

Currently only the CCSS identifier is included in the rubric element label (e.g. W.9-10.1a) when downloading or printing a rubric. Offer an option to include the full text of the standard for each rubric element.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Customizable drop and drag comments for common mistakes

I would like to have a place to store common feedback so I could drop and drag. For example, "Do not begin with a pronoun," "Run-on sentence," "Comma splice," etc. I could grade lightning fast if I didn't have to type feedback for the common mistakes. Could we get a little window on left side to customize these types of comments?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve gone back and forth on this one. The Error Mark feature was designed to partially resolve this.

As I say in the blog post about it (http://blog.essaytagger.com/2013/01/latest-update-error-marking.html): In most cases I recommend not entering a comment about the error. Instead hold the student responsible for reviewing her errors and thinking through them herself to figure out and learn from her own mistakes. She can seek out help if she needs it, but we shouldn’t take on the responsibility of making corrections for the students when it really doesn’t do them any good.

I’d much rather have students submit corrections to earn back some mechanics points rather than having me write endless “subject-verb agreement” or “you’re/your” comments that the students won’t even read.

There’s also the possibility of using Kevin Brookhouser’s shorthand for his grmr.me resource:
    http://blog.essaytagger.com/2013/02/check-out-grmrme-and-stop-endlessly-re.html

Regardless, I’ll follow the demands of EssayTagger’s instructors! If lots of…

5. Display which students have viewed their graded work

The system will email out graded results to students, but currently there's no way to track which students actually clicked on the email and viewed their graded work.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m envisioning this as an addition to the “grading” tab of the Assignment Details page which lists all of the essays submitted for an assignment. An additional column would show a checkmark if the student has viewed their graded results.

I think this would be nice to have but I’m not sure it’s a crucial feature. Let me know!

6. Resizeable sentence-level highlights

Oftentimes something like a piece of evidence will be more than one sentence long or conversely an in-text citation might be less than a sentence. But the grading app only allows for single-sentence highlighting. Allow users to drag the highlight start and end points as needed to cover multiple sentences or just a portion of a single sentence.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. PDFs of reports

Hello,

I am really excited about the possibility of this program. Are the reports available as PDF's, or will this feature be available in the next version? I printed out the reports, but they look like printed out webpages...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Mechanics & Syntax Menu

The worst part about rubrics from a student's perspective is that he/she sees nothing actually on the essay itself. While I LOVE the fact that you include that option, perhaps, as many have already suggested, there was a selection index of some sort. So if I highlighted a spelling error on the essay, I could check a box for spelling. THEN, at the end of the essay a student could have a list indicating their errors (similar to what you already do with the passages listed with errors) and see "whoa, my Achilles heel is passive. Look at all those…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Store Rubric Free Comments

It would be nice to be able to store my rubric free comments and have access to them for every writing assignment I grade. For example, lately I've been using comments such as "Provide context for this quote: when and where does this occur" or "transition needed".

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Strike-Out Feature

Often students will be too wordy, repeat ideas and examples, or accidentally repeat two of the same words in a row. Rather than marking this as an error and writing 'delete' or 'redundant', a strike-out tool would be much easier.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting. I definitely see the use-case here. I’m always concerned about adding too many options to the interface. EssayTagger is initially intimidating to most teachers and if there are too many options it will be totally overwhelming.

I’ll wait to see how teachers respond to this. If it bubbles up the top, I’ll find a way to make it work.

11. Conserve PAPER & SPACE!

Shrink the printed version of a graded essay so it isn't such a forest killer!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Numerical value attached to rubric

Not to have to manually enter grades but to instead have a numerical value attached to the rubric criteria.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. "Print All Graded Papers for This Assignment" Option

If there was a "Print all graded papers" option for each assignment, I could more easily return work to my students to work on with pens and highlighters before they go back to type revisions.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Student login/dashboard to review graded essays using Google Apps account

Allow students to identify themselves via their school-provided Google Apps accounts. They would then be able to view their full essay history. Could even add some new data reports to show students how they performed relative to their peers on each assignment.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Format

Ability to see the original format of the paper

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Group or Partner Assignments Need Separate Name & Email Options

I have partner papers fairly regularly. I would love to be able to put both students' names on a graded essay so that I could email it to both separately. This idea would also work well if you were grading projects on this site... which I haven't actually thought of until now, but wow, that would be AWESOME to do (projects are actually easier to grade from a rubric perspective)... now let me go figure out how to do that!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Grammarly and TurnITin

I currently have grammarly and turn it in as a faculty member. It would be great if we had the option to have a similar service through this. For example, perhaps there is a side bar indicating plagiarism % and perhaps links the document in grammarly ? This would save me time so I could spend more time on the content of the essay.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Pre and Post Assessment

Is there a feature in the data reports which allows teachers to do a side-by-side comparison of a pre and post assessment? Thinking for SLO's...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Sort of.

If you use Common Core-aligned rubrics, you can view progression charts across all CC-aligned assignments for the year for individual students and whole sections.

You can also download data into Excel, but it’s still very complicated to run the pre/post comparison yourself in a spreadsheet.

But we don’t currently support data comparisons between non-CC-aligned rubrics.

The problem with non-CC-aligned rubrics is that I’ve built in complete flexibility—which is great for the instructor—but creates all sorts of problems if the code is asked to compare results.

Imagine all the possible comparison challenges: this rubric element was removed, this element was added, this one was renamed, this one was split into two elements, etc.

Even if 95% of all comparisons will use an identical rubric, the code has to account for ALL possible scenarios. And it’s those last 5% of cases that makes the whole thing way more complicated than…

20. Including Links for Independent Study

Posting links to videos or website for students to explore for independent study. For example, if a student has major issues with run-on sentences or needs review using transitional phrases, a link to a website or video for their independent study could be included in the overall comments.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

EssayTagger Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base